Deal alert! Enjoy FREE general admission to the Institute and FREE admission the Ancient Rome: Age of the Caesars this Sunday, May 20, in honor of our Roman holiday. Witness gladiators demonstrate gladiatorial combat, get hands-on with Roman history, make your own Roman board game, design and color your own shield, and more. Special activities take place from 12 – 4pm.
Other activities for all ages include:
- Better Than a Bed Sheet - Dress in a real Roman-style toga, and learn the good (and bad) points of this iconic Roman garment.
- Legionnaire Outfitters - Try on a helmet, use a replica shield and sword similar to what legionnaire soldiers used, and discover how this equipment affected battle strategies.
- Ready for the Games - Try on a gladiator's helmet, and get a first-hand look at how these fighters could see.
- Roman Fling - Fire a model catapult, ballista, and trebuchet to learn about warfare in the ancient world.
- Keeping It Clean - Explore the surprising truths about personal hygiene in the Roman world!
- PNC Mobile Learning Adventure