WELCOME TO ONLINE EXPLORE SCIENCE!
Though we will miss out on the face-to-face interactions of our traditional camps this summer, we put much thought into our virtual sessions and are excited to present the details! We created interactive experiences that connect your child with our resources, collections, scientists, and expertise in natural history for an immersive, memorable virtual week!
ALL-INCLUSIVE VIRTUAL EXPLORE SCIENCE! CAMP FEATURES:
- A Science Kit filled with the week’s provisions
- Kits will be available for pick-up at the Institute of Science
- Zooming in from afar? We’ll calculate shipping vs delivery and give you the better deal!
- LIVE daily video instruction with museum educators for simple step-by-step interactive learning
- Daily password-protected Zoom invite with access via monitored waiting room
- Access to our weekly blog recapping our shared experience
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO PARTICIPATE:
- Internet access
- An internet-connected device with audio and video (computer, iPad, tablet, etc.)
- A ZOOM username and password – sign up for a FREE account at zoom.us
- Space for science: You’ll need a flat, open work surface for your electronic device and your Science Kit
- The Science Kits will let your camper work independently. Depending on the activity, we will also utilize science supplies you already have at home: ice, water, refrigerator, microwave, large floor space, chair/table, outdoor space.
- $195/week per household (10% discount for Institute of Science members)
- $100/week per Science Kit (10% discount for Institute of Science members)
- One Science Kit required per camper. Additional campers from the same household are automatically registered with the purchase of additional Science Kits.
CURBSIDE SCIENCE KIT PICKUP:
- Three options from Thursday-Friday prior to the start of each week of camp:
- Thursday, 12-2pm
- Thursday, 5-7pm
- Friday 12-2pm
- Head to the West Entrance of the museum (across from the parking structure) and wait in your vehicle for a staff member to greet you
- Zooming in from afar? Select local delivery (Oakland County) or in-state shipping for an additional $20!
||Entering Grades 2-5
Explore Science! Camp
Entering Grades 2-5
July 6-10 | July 13-17 | July 20-24 | July 27-31 | August 3-7
Camp meets 9-11am
WHAT WILL ONLINE CAMPS LOOK LIKE?
Daily camp sessions will include instructor-led experiences developed around the items provided in your Science Kit. Depending on the week’s theme, look for the following:
- meet the Institute’s geologist (have any rocks you’d like identified?)
- get up close with our cave roach colony during their lunch feast
- take a nature walk in your backyard
- do chemistry experiments in your kitchen (make pickles!)
- stand on a chair to experiment with the laws of gravity
- start your own rock collection
- experiment with the laws of gravity (you’ll be standing on a chair!)
- engineer water pollution solutions
- meet the Institute’s anthropologist and get a behind-the-scenes tour of our collections
Online camps require a minimum of 10 participants to run. Registrants will be notified of cancellations due to low enrollment 1 week in advance and refunded in full.