- Plan a Visit
- Explore the Institute
- About the Institute
- Acheson Planetarium
- Bat Zone
- Cranbrook Observatory
- Erb Family Science Garden
- Galleries 1
- Galleries 2
- Galleries 3
- Bats: Superheroes of the Night
- Coming Soon
- Museum Rental
- QR Codes
- Speakers Bureau
- Comcast Museum Without Walls
- Astronomy & Space Science
- Earth Science
- People & Cultures
- Find Programs
- CIS After Dark
- Seasonal & Special Events
- Planetarium Shows
- Scouts at Cranbrook
- Members Only Events
- Discovery Center
- Young Scientists
- Summer Camp 2016
- Summer Group Registration 2016
- Get Involved
- Science Central
- Science News Feed
- Adjunct Curators
- Organization for Bat Conservation
- Watershed Education
- News Releases
- Geology of Michigan
- For Teachers
- Book a Museum Field Trip
- Anthropology & Social Science
- Art & Science
- Astronomy & Space Science
- Bats & Live Animals
- Earth Science
- Ecosystem/Fluid Earth
- Life Science
- Physical Science
- Seasonal & Entertainment
- Special Group Programs
- Distance Learning
- Professional Development
- Rouge River Water Festival
PLAN YOUR FIELD TRIP
Planning a field trip with Cranbrook Institute of Science is easy. We offer programs at our beautiful Bloomfield Hills museum, at your school or virtually, through videoconferencing.
Download a copy of the 2015-16 Educator Guide.
Pre-registration is required for all group programs.
REGISTRATION HAS BEGUN
PROGRAMS AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 22, 2015–JUNE 10, 2016
Book online (requires 50% deposit at time of booking)
Book over the phone 8am–5pm, Monday–Friday 248 645.3210
FIELD TRIPS ENCOURAGE AND SUPPORT CLASSROOM LEARNING
- In order to make booking your field trip to Cranbrook Institute of Science as easy as possible, use the handy tear-out planning worksheet for taking notes and exploring options. We’ll gather all the necessary details on the phone.
- Field trips play an important role for students and educators. A new learning environment provides the opportunity to build team and small group skills and engage students on an intellectual, social and physical level.
- By integrating classroom learning with physical objects and hands-on experiences, students have an opportunity to better understand curriculum concepts and how they connect to the world around them.
CHAPERONES + ADULT VISITORS
Teacher and chaperone involvement in the visit greatly improves the students’ experience.
- Cranbrook recommends a ratio of:
1 chaperone: 3 students for Preschool and Kindergarten
1 chaperone: 5 students for grades 1-12
- Additional chaperones (beyond the recommended ratio) are always welcome
- Due to space limitations, additional chaperones may not be able to attend all programming
- Chaperones must supervise and stay with their group for the entire visit
- Please brief your chaperones in advance so they will feel comfortable and know what is expected of them and the students in their charge
- Programs start on the hour and run 45 minutes
- Due to limited space we are only able to store coats and lunches
- Food and beverages are only permitted in designated areas
PRICING & PAYMENT POLICIES
Students (includes museum admission)
Premium Programs add $2 per student.
Teachers are FREE!
Additional Chaperones (includes museum admission): $10
ONE Chaperone is admitted Free for every FIVE students in Grades 1 and higher and for every THREE pre K and Kindergarten students.
Due to space limitations additional chaperones may not be able to attend programming. Minimum group visit size is 20 paid attendees. Member Discount does not apply to group visits.
FOR REGISTRATIONS MADE MORE THAN 30 CALENDAR DAYS FROM DATE OF VISIT:
FOR REGISTRATIONS MADE LESS THAN 30 CALENDAR DAYS FROM DATE OF VISIT:
CANCELLATIONS MADE 30 CALENDAR DAYS OR MORE FROM DATE OF VISIT:
CANCELLATIONS MADE LESS THAN 30 CALENDAR DAYS FROM DATE OF VISIT:
LUNCH AT THE INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE
BRING YOUR LUNCH
Lunchrooms are available on a pre-scheduled basis.
Each child should bring a lunch container identified with the student’s name.
Food and beverages, including gum, are not permitted in the museum.
ORDER LUNCH FOR YOUR STUDENTS
The Institute offers lunch catering for students. Lunches must be pre-ordered at least one week in advance for delivery to the school’s designated lunchroom area at the time of the visit.
- $5.25 per person
- Orders require a 50% non-refundable deposit at the time of order
- Additional a la carte items are available for an extra charge: chips, cookies, bottled water. Call for group pricing of these items. Specify at time of ordering if anything extra will be purchased.
- Reflections Cafe accepts cash, credit cards (Visa and MasterCard) and checks (payable to Chartwells).
PLACE LUNCH ORDERS AND MAKE PAYMENT THROUGH THE CAFÉ DIRECTLY AT 248 645.3201.
Choose one meal option for your entire group:
Fresh pizza slice
(cheese or cheese and pepperoni)
Turkey and Cheese or
Ham and Cheese Sandwich
Cheese stick or pretzels
Special requests? Food allergies? Ask us! We can accommodate most requests and regularly offer special dietary menus for gluten, nut and other food allergies.
ONE TEACHER/CHAPERONE EATS FREE WHEN MINIMUM OF 25 ORDERS ARE CONFIRMED